Wednesday 29 January 2014

Auroville - The Last Part of Our India Adventure...

In fear of repeating what I've said or at least part of it from www.mywifeslump.blogspot.com I'll just give a brief summary of what I've been up to, rather than the roller coaster of emotions that I'm currently experiencing.... That's all on the other blog.



I was surprised how easily I found Nilitangham again.  It's a little tucked away amidst the forest area, set in a few acres of beautiful tree filled gardens.  Dusty orange paths weave their way from hobbit house to solar house, to the kitchen then up to Ambre's house.  Ambre is the lady that runs this little venture.

The first night I pitched my tent under a tree, waiting for one of the hobbit houses to become available.  I adorned the inside of my mesh only tent with my pictures of Amanda and her beautiful red and gold silk scarf from Cambodia.  She wore it everywhere she went.... well almost.


I walked around the beautiful paths reminiscing.  I watched the butterflies and birds flit from tree to tree and flower to flower.  The air was filled with the gentle rustle of leaves in the breeze and the lilt a constant variety of bird song.  Truly wonderful.  There was of course only one thing missing for me.

I moved into the hobbit house the next day.  I kept the mesh lining of my tent up, deciding to sleep under it to keep the mosquitos at bay.  It's just like sleeping under a very posh mosquito net..... Which I could do with now, as I have five fresh mozzie bites from the last 10 minutes as I sit here in the garden typing.

Hobbit House by Night.
A quick reminder of what Auroville is all about.  It was a community set up during the late 60's or possibly early 70's..... It was to be a multi racial multi cultural land, with no common religion and no prejudice toward others.  The mix of cultures and nationalities is impressive, with the Indian nationality coming in at 50% of the 2,000 inhabitants and the French coming in next with 15%, the remaining 35% is a mix mash from the rest of the world.  They built various homes from renewable and sustainable products, they planted trees to provide cover and water retention.  They farmed the land.  They hoped it would all work on a bartering system, but modern day living has made this system difficult.  In fact it hasn't worked.  Monies earned are meant to go to the Auroville Fund (something like that) and people receive a sort of weekly or monthly payment.  A type of Auro-pension or Auro-benefit system.  The Auroville concept is a great idea, and to a point it works.  Financially I don't believe it does though, having spoke with many locals.  To move here money is needed.  You must be able to fund the building of a home, or the purchase of an existing home if and when one becomes available.  Then any newcomers would also need enough cash to support themselves, until they found a way of generating an income.  It all sounds a bit contradictory and complicated.  Auroillians use a plastic Auro-card to pay for groceries and dining out.  A visit to the town hall and an exchange of cash sees credit added to your account, in addition to what is received monthly.
The Matrimandir is the large golden disc covered ball you see in the images and the short clip.  It's an incredible structure, and the gold is in fact real gold leaf.  The interior is incredible.  No cameras permitted, so there is only the image I hijacked form the internet and uploaded to www.wherearetheboyds.blogspot.com during January 2012.

The reason I came back to Auroville, was because I was drawn here.  It was the last place that Amanda and I were just Amanda and I.... It was the last part of our travelling adventure together.  The memories and energy is strong.... They aren't easy memories by any stretch of the imagination, but many are truly beautiful.

I've practiced yoga every morning.  I've meditated daily.  I've visited the Matrimandir (which I was planning an overnight photography assault on, just to capture the Golden Ball under the cloak of the outer universe) and the various places we ate.



Ladies carving the soap blocks...
Yesterday I headed to the Bamboo Centre, where Amanda and I planned to start importing the organic charcoal soaps.  I met Balu, who I'd only chatted to via email.  His warm smile and big hug were very welcome.  He had read of Amanda's passing,  As he embraced me he said amidst the moving on of Amanda our story was one of great love and inspriation.  It was truly beautiful.  I fought back the tears.  We talked bamboo and what he was doing.  How he was trying to expand so they could continue funding the local school which lectures 170 children.  Balu is a gently, warm man.  He will do well.  I hope to sell more soaps to help their business develop.  They are still listed on eBay, and in August I hope to approach small pharmacies.  They produce beautiful furniture and fabric from the bamboo too.  It's an incredibly versatile material.  The bamboo scarves are 90% bamboo fibre with 10% cotton.  The material is soft and supple, it's surprising to think it comes from the largest grass in the world.

I'll spend another couple of days here in Auroville.  Then I'll go meet Anna Louisa in Pondicherry before heading to Tiruvannamalai.  Here I hope to stay in the ashram, Amanda loved it here.  I will immerse myself in meditation for a day or two before heading to Gokarna.... or up to Pune then back down to Gokarna.

4 comments:

  1. amazing pictures and such beautiful and moving words - thank you for sharing your journey
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous as always Mark, hope you are well, lots of love to you from a very wet and rainy Mannin
    Simone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone.... I do miss the wet windy rock! Crazy eh? Ha ha!
      Keep well, keep strong x

      Delete