Monday 27 January 2014

Varkala to Auroville

Video Clip at the bottom of the page!
Nothing saucy just some snippets of the journey....
A taste of Indian travel some might say.


So Varkala turned out to be an nice 'breaking in' few days for my travels. Only Debra and a couple from the US managed to witness a full wash of tears about Amanda. Mark & Maria were lucky enough to only suffer choking and welling up. Amongst this sadness there was also plenty of smiles and laughter. The stay at Kaiya Guesthouse was just lovely.

As I mentioned on the earlier post I wanted to head to Auroville to reminisce.....
This journey would involve a local bus from Varkala (time unknown) to Trivandrum, then from Trivandrum to Villapurnam on a 13 hour train journey leaving at 4.30pm.... Then another bus journey from Villapurnam to Pondicherry, then finally a motorcycle ride from Pondi' to Autoville.

I did my misty eyed hugs and goodbyes at Kaiya Guesthouse and headed down the road to wait for the bus.... As I came down the steps a bus was heading around the corner to the stop. A wobbly backpack front and back run ensued. A rickshaw driver (the little loud three wheelers, known as tuk-tuks in South East Asia) spotted me and pointed to the bus. He kindly hindered it's departure and I was on. Great timing, smashing start! After 2 hours (on an anticipated 1 hour bus ride) sat on the air conditioned bus watching India go by, I arrived at Trivandrum. A sweaty 10 minute walk and I was at the train station. It was only 2.15pm so I decided to eat. I wandered in to a local eatery and was served a tali. This is a selection of various bits and pieces served in little silver finger bowls along side a generous never ending portion of rice. It was good.
The train arrived on time. My name wasn't on the list which is attached to the carriages, and as my ticket was listed as WL1 (Waiting List 1) a few days before I had hoped to see it on the list of passengers. I got on regardless. A few minutes later the conductor got on. Found my name on the Waiting List and everything was sorted. There would only be a couple of hours of light to appreciate the scenery, so that's what I did. Once darkness blanked the India countryside I set up my bed and relaxed. I set my alarm for 5am so as not to miss my 5.15am stop in Villapurnam.
My alarm rudely awakened me, we were stopped! Panic! I grabbed all my bits stuffing them in to the bag, then spent a minute trying to undo the cable lock on the big backpack. I ran to the door. I had to wake a local man sleeping across the door. Villapurnam I asked, another getting off said 'Villapurnam 4.30am' What??!! I thought.... I said it again 'Villapurnam' as if that would change his original answer it didn't. I continued to say it in my sleepy haze..... Did this mean I'd missed my stop having set my alarm for 5am, was I now on my way to Chennai? Bloody hell! I took my phone out of my pocket to check the time. It read 2am! What had happened? A wave of relief washed over me, it was no where near my time to get off. I returned to my berth, reset my alarm for 4.20am in case this other guy was correct on the arrival time, and drifted back to sleep.
When we pulled in to the station I'd been sat awake for an hour. I asked a local man in his fifties was there anywhere I could get a bus from Villapurnam to Pondicherry. He invited me to join him and his friend who were headed in that direction. They stopped at a chai stand (tea) where he bought me a little paper cup filled with sweet masala chai. How very kind I thought. I'd offered to pay for the three chais but he wouldn't have it. I followed them for 10 minutes out on to the street. It was dark dirty and noisy. The time was approaching 5.40am, and after much effort from my new guides and carers we were climbing on board a packed local bus to Pondicherry. I turned to pay for my ticket, and the gentleman wobbled his head from side, smiling and waving his hand slightly at the same time. He had paid for my bus ticket. I tried to pass money back to him but he fervently refused. Another act of great kindness to someone he had only just met. This sort of behaviour is a great lesson to us all. By 7am we were in Pondicherry bus station. I got chatting to lovely lady who had travelled from the Himalayas down to Pondicherry for India 'Cold Period'. She was participating in a Sanscrit (ancient language) week long course here in town. I helped her with her bags then returned to retrieve mine before the bus driver headed off on his return journey. Anna Louisa was from Minnesota in the US. She said she knew a lovely place to get breakfast and asked would I like to join her. 'I would be delighted to. You be my guide I'll be your porter' I suggested as I wheeled her large suitcase and duffle bag, whilst loaded with my front and backpacks.
After a short rickshaw journey we arrived at our destination. We chatted over a delicious Indian rice dish called Pongal. It was recommended by Anna-Louisa, and as she seemed to have far more knowledge then me I ordered the same as her.
Before you all get to thinking, wow Mark has met himself a lovely lady so soon..... and it's true Anna-Louisa is a lovely woman, I explained why I was travelling and about the love Amanda and I shared, and the love I still feel for her and will always feel for her. Anna-Louisa was a healer, and she spoke very wisely with regards to life and the universe. It was a joy to listen to her. This is a lady full of positive energy and courage.... She had me laughing with some of her comical tales and thinking deeply about the wisdom she shared. Anna-Louisa sat quietly at the times I became very emotional, just waiting for me to 'get myself together'. She didn't need to say anything, and she knew it.
Now I've said all that I can share with you that the lovely Anna-Louisa is 73 years of age. What a trooper. She lived in Costa Rica for 7 years and then headed to Northern India on her own to spend time in the foothills of the Himalayas. She is constantly learning, and constantly giving. We spent 2 hours chatting over breakfast and it was an absolute joy. We exchanged email addresses, and I intend to meet up with her again before leaving Auroville/Pondicherry.
Yet again, within just a couple of hours of having met this generous local Indian man, I then meet another truly wonderful human being with such a lust for life, learning and everything else that is Anna-Louisa a woman who is definitely holds many great lessons that we could all learn from.

After saying goodbye to Anna-Louisa I headed to find my motorcycle shop. After over an hour of walking around Pondi not really knowing where I was, I found somewhere I recognised.... I was very hot and very sweaty. It was now 10.15am and the temperature was touching thirty degrees. I found my shop and the lovely man that ran it. After a brief chat he remembered me from last year. The story of the man and lady that were having to leave Auroville early as she was unwell. We spoke about back pains and disc problems back then... .Little did we know. He talked about losing his parents, brothers and sisters over the years.... He related it to my situation with Amanda having been so young. He continued to speak, and tears trickled down his cheeks. What an amazing show of empathy. I showed him the pictures I carry in my wallet. Another lovely soul.
Five minutes later I was on my way Auroville, weaving in and out of other motorcycle users, rickshaws, buses, cars and cows!

I won't be able to re-read this and edit it. As my battery power is running out, and I forgot to bring an adapter for 3 pin plugs.... Something I must invest in tomorrow!
Hope it reads OK.

Bye for now.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mark
    It's a comfort to know that you are meeting some lovely, empathic people along the way and people that remember you and the lovely Amanda.
    Love the video and the cow dodging!
    Take care and I will keep following the blog
    Sandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra.
      Will keep the little vids coming from time to time! Don't want to bore you all!

      Big love.

      x

      Delete
  2. Loving the video content mate - a nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. It's a tad time consuming, especially with being in India. Charging my laptop takes all night! Ha ha! Hope you guys are well x

      Delete