Wednesday 5 February 2014

Pondicherry - Poverty, Vendors and Fire Departments.

Today Natalia was leaving Nilitangham. She needed a ride to Pondicherry. I thought I could find Anna Louisa for a late breakfast and maybe a little healing, so offered her a ride in on the back of my moped. Afterall I was a professional 'life giver' now!

We stopped enroute for coffee and cake then cruised our way in to Pondi. The roads were even more chaotic than normal. There were whoops and the odd laugh and 'I'm frightened' sounds coming from behind me as Natalia struggled to contain her emotions amidst the mayhem. Finally I dropped Natalia off at The New Guesthouse (I have to admit the landlords of Pondi are clearly not the most creative when it comes to naming newer establishments!) and went in search of Anna Louisa. After much asking and much help from the locals I finally stumbled upon AL's guesthouse. Afterr all that she wasn't in. Ah well. I decided it was time I immersed myself in some 'street photography', something I've never done before, having lacked the confidence to be knocked back by strangers.... But now it seems I don't mind quite so much. I still feel uncomfortable, but we'll just have to see how it goes.

After not finding AL, I bumped along 'Poor Pondi', where local fisher families and poverty seemed rife. The living quarters of most families was no bigger than an average living room in Europe or the UK, and the construction was either corrogated iron, foliage, plastic, or if there is a tiny bit of money to play with, a tiled roof. As you can see, there was a wide variety of homes.






Fishing Nets & Laundry
 The river gives you an idea of the filth... I can't photograph smells, but if I
could the title would be 'sthhhphuuuu' with a little wretch at the end of it.

River, drain and dump.... All conveniently rolled in to one.... Very sad sight....
There are many smiles along this little poverty stricken area, people seem content with their bag, but within 100 yards, there is the promenade, laid along a long stretch of open water. Guesthouses and fancy boutique shops line the front.... It just doesn't seem right.

I bump over the last few rocky sections of track before my little Honda lets out a sigh of relief as it's treadless tyres come in to contact with some smooth tarmac.... My spine also sighs with relief!

I cruise the promenade looking for something more 'graphic'. The sun is high and bright, rubbish for photography! What can I conjour up I wonder? I decide that the icecream man and his old style bicycle would make a nice shot. He's under his umbrella, so he's in the shade and the sun is doing it's usual spotlight of the universe thing – soooo bright! I over expose for the icecream man and hope for the best.

Cool & Fresh...... and that's just the vendor!
I then spot various little carts along the front. I have simple pleasures, and I find them rustically beautiful against the sandy foreground and the blue background of sea and sky.




What next I ask myself?

I pass the Pondicherry Fire Department.... Hmmmmm.
I spin around in the road and head back towards the PFD, asking if it would be ok to capture some images of how things are run in Pondi when a fire breaks out. I told them I have friends who class themselves as firemen back on the Isle of Man (airport fireman) and they would love to see the difference between the gear here and what they have there. They sought permission from the head honcho and I was in.  You guys will love this.

Annual & Monthly Fire Record...
The Fire Trucks...

Fire Dogs.... Tucked up beside the wheels....

State of the art Ambulance... or possibly a minibus....


Knot a fire in sight! 

Here in Pondi they have access to water, hoses and trucks.... Oh and hankies to keep that pesky smoke out of their lungs.... Perfect, that's all you need! You airport guys are brave, no doubt about it.... Heroes even, but these guys are heroes with very little equipment. Check it all out.
The thing that would hit my airport fireman pals harder than anything is the lack of 'play area' as I like to call it. There is of course some lovely beds, with no mattresses to get comfortable on, and there is even a TV..... But that's it fellas. No pool table or pole dancing bar (the latter may be a myth, but I think it's more than likely true).... How would you survive?!

No mattresses... No pool table... Just work.
The Office.
I thanked them all kindly and headed next door to the liquor store to grab Ambre a large bottle of beer, as I'd drank one of hers in the week thinking they'd been left behind by a couple of Spanish folks.


Before heading to Pondi this morning, after a little yoga and meditation, I scattered some more of Amanda's ashes around the stem of a young papaya tree in the garden at Nilitangham. Amanda is part of something that continues to give and bear fruit year on year here in India. She would have loved that.

Tomorrow I leave Auroville for Tiruvannamalai, our second to last place together. A place of meditation, self observation, a holy mountain.... and lots of begging holy men, traffic and noise!!!


Catch up soon.

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the images of the bright carts!!! Get doing more street photography, it's great!
    Safe journey onto Tirumannamalai.

    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandra, glad someone is enjoying them! Ha ha! Just checked them out online, the colours look a little over bright and saturated, even though they weren't. If I should have desaturated the vibrance on them a little, but I'm a fuss pot!

      Bye for now.

      xxx

      Delete
  2. A fuss pot indeed!! To the untrained eye, they are beautiful and full of life: ) Keep safe!
    Simone x

    ReplyDelete