Wednesday 9 July 2014

Arriving in McCarthy

It had been a tough days cycling.
Ten and a half hours with a two and a half thousand foot climb around midday to be exact. I was fairly bushed!

Top of Thompson Pass

Thompson Pass and the Glacier

Roadside Waterfall.
I'd reached where I wanted to get to and had slept fairly well.
At 6.30am the following morning I smeared myself in mosquito repellent and packed down my frost covered canvas. It was July 3rd!!
My morning began with a steep climb which warmed my bones. An hour later I was turning on to the Chitna Road towards
McCarthy.
The long straight road disappeared in to the distance (6.2 miles of straight road). It hooped up and down as I cycled for almost half an hour. The blue sky and bright sun were a real treat. The surrounding lakes and trees were beautiful, and birdsong filled the air.


Suddenly a truck pulled up alongside.
'Hey Mark!'
Eh??? I thought, looking in to the open windows....
It was Sam and his lovely lady Gretchin, they were driving in the other direction when they spotted me and about turned. Just to remind you all, the bike I'm riding had been leant to me by the 'man angel' known as Sam Chamberlain, and here he was. It was a real treat bumping in to them on my way to McCarthy. We chatted for a few minutes and he told me to seek out Camille when I reached town and went on to inform me where I'd likely find her. She may have somewhere I could pitch my tent.

He doesn't even touch the sides....

Shortly after leaving Sam & Gretchin I reached a bridge. On the opposite side of which awaited a 4 mile climb, a ten metre section of which was the steepest incline I'd ridden to date! I barely managed it. The sun was also baking my skin, it was 11am and hot. Very hot. I sweated something ridiculous.

View from ontop

I continued to enjoy my cycle all the way to Chitna, where folks were dip netting below the bridge for salmon in the heavy waters of the Copper River. I rested and chatted to a couple from Fairbanks who had headed this way to escape the persistent rain the town had been suffering throughout June.

Dip netting for salmon.... Yes there are that many you can stand with a net in the water and catch them!

Fish traps....

The fish swim in.... Get scooped up and deposited in the net.... Nice!

By 1pm I'd gone through my water supply and still had 35 miles to go. This amounted to another 5 saddle hours on this very rough pot holed surface. I was surprised my tyres hadn't already succumbed to a puncture or two. 

Hmmm, getting close.... But still 60 miles of rough track ahead.

A truck approached in the distance I popped out my thumb. The driver slowed down, and the next thing I know I'm snoozing in the passengers seat with the warm sun on my face. The Specialized Tricross riding proudly atop the roof!  Thank you Sir Adam Baxter, I really needed that ride!

A brief ride in the back of a truck.

Red Hut


A couple of hours later I was cycling across the bridges leading to McCarthy and heading for 'The Potato', a little foodery, where I would likely find Camille.
Before reaching 'The Potato' I headed in to a busy looking little store. I asked about Camille (there's only about 7 buildings in the town and everyone knows everyone) and enjoyed a salted caramel ice cream. A lady asked me where I'd started my tour from and we got chatting. She too was heading over to The Potato. During the five minute walk we chatted cycle touring, which Julie and her husband loved to do and had much experience of. A few minutes later I was introducing myself to Camille who was disappointedly telling me she already had visitors (tomorrow was the 4th July, Independence Day). Ah well, I thought to myself, I'd go and camp below the glacier at least the views would be pretty special. I stepped back to look at the blackboard menu on the wall. Another guy walked in, and I waved him to go ahead of me as I hadn't decided on what I was having yet.
'I'm here to see you.' he said. Here we go I thought, something good is going to happen.
Julie had told Mike about me (her husband) and where I was, he came down to 'The Potato' to offer me a place to pitch my tent. Mike went on to say I may not want to stay as it would mean having to ride 3 miles back out the road. He then went on to say I'd also have use of a hot shower. WOW!!! I ordered my black bean wrap and hit the road.


I continue to meet wonderful people!

When I arrived at Mike & Julie's I was blown away by the place.  The cabin looked between the spruce trees across to snow capped mountains.  Swallows flitted up and down to the nest boxes mounted outside the exterior open decking area.  It really was wonderful.  

View from the garden.
Mike & Julie had worked for over 3 summers to build the cabin, and everything else around it has been a work in progress.  A hot water shower cabinet a little den and a tremendous sauna!



Setting Sun.
Their friends Peter, Jeremy & Allene all made me feel very welcome indeed.  
We prepared food (Mike did most of the cooking) together and I grabbed the pot washers job, to feel useful in this cabin of generosity and kindness.  Each morning I dined on healthy cooked breakfasts with big get together meals in the evening.  Beer was flowing and laughter a plenty.  It really was a joy.  Such kind hearted folks.

The McCarthy Crew.
Tomorrow is the 4th July.  Independence Day.
This was the day that Will Smith saved the world from an alien invasion back in 1996 when he almost single handedly saved the US, which in turn saved the rest of the world.  An important day in the history of the United States of America.................. sorry.... what was that?  Oh.... right, okay....

So there's more to it than that, but this isn't a history lesson.  Google is your teacher.  Go learn!  Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment